Variable Speed Drives
EDUCATE. COMMUNICATE. INNOVATE
Most large organisation will have chillers, Air Handling Units and boilers to operate the site. Most of these items will have a motor or pump to drive the process and take the heating or cooling throughout the building.
A variable Speed Drive’s (VSD) job is to connect to the pump or motor and drive the component efficiently and operationally. A VSD is intelligent and can understand patterns in operation and will allow for the process to be completed as efficiently as possible.
Without a VSD the plant equipment will be running at 100%. Running items at 100% can lead to breakdown and shortening the life of equipment.
Placing a VSD onto a 3kw AHU Motor and reducing the speed by 20% will bring a 48.8% reduction in energy consumption. A simple calculation on the above scenario would be on a 12p per kwh electricity rate, running for 8 hours per day, 5 days a week, 37 weeks a year will return a financial saving of £265.
- Building & Energy Management System (BeMS)
- What can we do to reduce consumption over the festive period?
- In 30 years most of us will still be working in currently existing buildings. How do you future proof your property portfolio?
- Net Zero Week, Day 4: How to verify your data
- Net Zero Week, Day 3: Support mechanisms available on your roadmap to net zero